Roto-Rooter is actually a sewer-cleaning device invented in 1933 and consists of a combination of blades used to cut tree roots out of sewer lines. The inventor, Samuel Blanc, came up with the idea after becoming frustrated when he couldn’t unclog the drains in his son’s apartment. So how did we get from that to a massive company with its Roto-Rooter $99 special and other discounts?
After creating the bizarre unclogging machine in 1933, Samuel Blanc laid the foundation for one of the largest plumbing companies in the US. It was sold in 1980 to Chemed Corporation, and while the company still sold the now famous Roto-Rooter device, it also started to offer several plumbing and water cleanup services.
Today, Roto-Rooter has over 500 branches, both company-owned and independent franchises. It covers about 90% of the US population, and it can also be found in some parts of Canada. With that much coverage and flat-rate prices, Roto-Rooter quickly became the largest plumbing company in the United States.
Roto-Rooter $99 Specials and More
The Roto-Rooter $99 special may be the one everyone is looking for, but the company offers several discounts for many of its most commonly required services. Together with the fact that Roto-Rooter has a flat-rate policy, these discounts make for one affordable opportunity to fix the plumbing around your home.
Save $75 on Plumbing & Drain Cleaning
|With this coupon, you can save up to $75 when employing Roto-Rooter for any plumbing and drain cleaning. All you have to do is scan the QR code to add it to your wallet, and then you have to show it to the technician at the time of service.
Drain cleaning is a process of removing buildup, clogs, and any other obstructions from pipes and drains. The purpose is to restore the proper flow so that backups and other plumbing issues don’t happen. It’s basically a preventative tactic that can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Experts advise that you perform drain cleaning at least once a year, even if you notice that your drains aren’t clogged.
Plumbing, on the other hand, includes a wide range of services. Whether your shower is broken or you want some help installing your new dishwasher, you need a plumber. And that’s where Roto-Rooter comes in.
The $75 off on plumbing and drain cleaning coupon can be used on several services such as the sink and toilet repair, faucet change, and anything that has to do with your shower. Whether they are clogged or the installation needs to be changed, just look for the nearest Roto-Rooter office, and its experts will be at your doorstep as soon as they are available.
Save $100 on Water Heater Services
|Installing or repairing a water heater is not the cheapest service, but with this coupon, you can save $100. Scan the QR code, and present it to the technicians when they arrive at your house, and $100 will be deducted from your total invoice.
Your water heater can suffer damage, such as water leaks or rust buildup. Whatever the case, you’ll need a professional to take a look at it and fix the issue if applicable. In non-emergent cases, such as a water leak, you may think you can repair it yourself. While that can be true, the challenging part is to determine where the water is leaking from.
Apart from that, a water heater may require some other maintenance services. So how do you know when you need a professional to look at it? Here are the most common signs you need to have your water heater checked:
- Strange noises such as clanking come from the heater when the water heats up
- You find water at the base of the equipment. More often than not, this requires you to replace the water heater
- Water takes a longer time than usual to heat up
- Water doesn’t get hot enough
- The water that comes from the taps is rusty or contains other debris
- You notice rust streaks in your shower, which indicates a rust buildup
While some of the issues may seem small and insignificant at first, know that not properly maintaining a water heater can lead to further damage, which can leave you without hot water for longer and cost more to repair/replace.
Save $100 Off Whole House Service & Free Camera Inspection
|If you have a clogged drain or pipe but cannot identify the location of the obstruction, a camera inspection of your pipes can save time and money. With this coupon, you can save $100 on this service.
Clogged drains are one of the most common plumbing issues that require the assistance of Roto-Rooter technicians. However, the obstructions are sometimes difficult to locate and looking aimlessly for one can take time and money. With a camera, things get easier and faster, which can enable a Roto-Rooter technician to solve your problem faster.
So how does a camera inspection work? The technician uses a waterproof camera that it’s mounted at the tip of a flexible rod. With it, you can get images from underground pipes, including pipes under cement and concrete. You can basically get images from underneath your house’s foundation. Whether the pipe is 2 inches or 36 inches wide, the camera can get anywhere.
The video footage is transmitted in real-time to the technician, meaning that the issue can be established in a few minutes. Once the obstruction is located, the technician makes note of it and proceeds to eliminate the obstruction using the Roto-Rooter equipment.
Save $300 Off Any Sewer or Water Line Excavation Replacement
|Water line excavations are expensive services because they require many resources, such as special machines and equipment, and a lot of time. However, this coupon allows you to save $300 on such a service.
All water mains are usually located underground. If a problem arises, you need to dig up the pipes and make the necessary repairs. Obviously, this is not a DIY type of project, but the professionals from Roto-Rooter can make it happen in as little time as possible.
When a water line bursts, for instance, you have to excavate the area around it to be able to replace it. Roto-Rooter technicians arrive at your location with all the required equipment to do so. They will locate the burst pipe, and if they can fix the leak, they will do it to the best of their abilities. However, if the problem is too significant to fix, they can replace the water line altogether.
Roto-Rooter can also help you if you want to connect your home installation to a main water line. They identify the places where they can excavate and place pipes where necessary.
Emergency Plumbing: When to Call and What to Expect
water. As you dash from your room, you find a flooded living room courtesy of a burst pipe. Or picture this: you’re about to host a dinner party and just hours before your guests arrive, your kitchen drain clogs, threatening an overflow. These scenarios are not only inconvenient but can cause serious damage to your home and can burn a hole in your wallet if not addressed promptly.
Plumbing emergencies can strike at the most unexpected times, catching homeowners off guard. Often, the first reaction is panic, followed by the pressing question: “Do I call a plumber now or can it wait till morning?” The delay between this dilemma and making a decision can further aggravate the situation.
In this blog, we’ll delve into the world of emergency plumbing, helping you recognize urgent plumbing issues, understand the potential costs, and guide you on when and how to call in the professionals. We will equip you with the knowledge to act swiftly and wisely, ensuring the safety of your home and minimizing potential damage.
Tell-Tale Signs of Plumbing Disasters
Just as a medical emergency requires immediate attention, so does a plumbing disaster. But how do you differentiate a minor hiccup from an emergency? Recognizing the early signs can be the difference between a quick fix and an expensive overhaul.
- The Persistent Drip: It’s 3 AM, and you hear that repetitive dripping from your bathroom. This isn’t just an annoying sound to keep you awake, but it might be indicative of a more significant problem, such as escalating water bills or potential water damage.
- Gushing Geysers: A burst pipe can turn your living space into a waterlogged mess within minutes. If there’s sudden flooding, especially in areas where no water sources are visible, it’s a clear sign to call that 24-hour plumber.
- Unpleasant Aromas: The foul smell of sewage isn’t just a nose-pinching nuisance. It’s a clear indicator of broken sewer lines or backed-up sewage systems, posing health risks to you and your family.
- Frosty Pipes: In extremely cold temperatures, water in the pipes can freeze, leading to blockages or even causing the pipes to burst. If you suspect frozen pipes, especially during winter months, it’s best to consult with a plumber immediately.
- Overflows and Backups: If your toilet starts to overflow after a flush, or your sink refuses to drain, these aren’t issues to put on the back burner. Overflows can cause extensive water damage, and backups might point to a more significant problem in the drainage system.
- Strange Noises: If you hear bubbling, gurgling, or other unusual sounds coming from your plumbing system, it might be an indication of a blockage or air in the pipes, warranting immediate attention.
- Visible Water Damage: Discoloration on walls or ceilings, mold growth, and wet spots are clear indicators of hidden leaks. Addressing these early can prevent structural damage and mold-related health issues.
- Gas Leaks: A smell of gas or the sound of hissing near gas lines is a severe emergency. Gas leaks not only pose a threat due to potential explosions but can also lead to health issues if inhaled.
The Common Plumbing Emergencies to Be Aware Of
While there’s a wide array of plumbing issues one might encounter, some are more common (and potentially more disastrous) than others. Being familiar with these typical emergencies not only empowers you with knowledge but also prepares you to handle the situation more efficiently.
- Burst Pipes: One of the most feared plumbing emergencies, burst pipes can result in significant water damage in a short amount of time. Causes range from frozen water expanding inside the pipe, to wear and tear, or even external damage.
- Blocked Drains: A blocked drain might seem minor at first, but when left untreated, it can lead to water backflow, flooding, and even potential health hazards. Common culprits include accumulated hair, grease, and foreign objects.
- Overflowing Toilets: Beyond the obvious mess, an overflowing toilet can cause floor damage and pose sanitation risks. It’s often a result of blockages in the drain or malfunctioning float mechanisms.
- Gas Leaks: Among the most dangerous plumbing emergencies, gas leaks can lead to fires or explosions. They may stem from faulty appliances, damaged gas lines, or improper installations.
- Water Heater Failures: A malfunctioning water heater can lead to scalding hot or freezing cold showers. In some cases, water heaters might also leak or burst, causing flooding in the area.
- Sewer System Backup: A nasty issue to deal with, sewer backups result in sewage water coming up from the drains. This poses severe health risks and can cause damage to your home’s interiors.
- Major Faucet Leaks: While a minor drip can be ignored for a while, a significant leak can lead to wasted water and increased bills. Moreover, if the leak is due to high water pressure, it can cause long-term damage to your pipes and fixtures.
- Failed Sump Pump: Especially crucial in areas prone to flooding, a failed sump pump can result in water accumulation in your basement or crawl spaces, leading to potential water damage and mold growth.
- Emergency Drain Cleaning: Oftentimes, drains get clogged with debris, leading to slow water drainage or even backup. Such situations require immediate attention to prevent further complications.
- Clogged Sewer Lines: Roots from trees, debris, or a build-up of waste can block sewer lines. This can cause drains to back up, leading to potential flooding and health hazards.
By having a clear understanding of these emergencies, you’re better equipped to identify the issue and call the right professional service, whether it’s a burst water pipe repair specialist, a 24-hour plumber, or an emergency drain cleaning service. Always remember to prioritize safety, turning off main water or gas supply lines if necessary, while waiting for expert help to arrive.
Costs Associated with Emergency Plumbing
When disaster strikes in the form of a plumbing emergency, the immediate concern tends to be the disruption and potential damage to your home. However, the financial aspect of these unforeseen circumstances also plays a crucial role. By understanding the various costs associated with emergency plumbing, you can make informed decisions that align with both your budget and the urgency of the situation.
Average Costs of Common Emergency Plumbing Services:
- Emergency Plumber Cost: Often ranging from $50 to $150 per hour, this cost reflects the urgency and specialized expertise required for immediate response.
- Burst Pipe Repair Cost: A particularly menacing issue, burst pipes can vary greatly in repair costs, from $100 for a simple repair to more than $1000 for a complex situation.
- 24-Hour Plumber Cost: With the advantage of availability at any hour, the cost for 24-hour plumbers can be 10-30% more than standard rates.
Factors Influencing the Total Cost of Emergency Plumbing Services:
- Severity and Complexity of the Issue: The nature of the emergency plays a significant role in determining the cost. A minor clog will naturally cost less than a sewage backup or a major leak.
- Timing: Late nights, weekends, or holidays may increase the cost due to overtime or special rates.
- Materials Required: Premium or specialized materials can add to the total cost.
- Location and Accessibility: Hard-to-reach areas may increase labor costs.
Potential Additional Costs to Consider:
- Water Damage Repair: Depending on the extent of flooding or leaks, water remediation services might be necessary.
- Replacement of Damaged Items: Furniture, electronics, or personal items may need replacement or restoration.
- Health Hazard Remediation: Issues like mold growth may necessitate specialized treatments.
Long-Term Savings and Benefits of Prompt Action:
- Preventing Further Damage: Immediate repairs can minimize further damage, saving on more extensive future repairs.
- Health Protection: Prompt action can mitigate potential health risks, like mold growth or sewage exposure.
- Utility Bill Savings: Efficient and timely repairs can stop leaks that could otherwise inflate utility bills.
Exploring Insurance and Warranty Options:
- Homeowner’s Insurance: Depending on your policy, some plumbing emergencies might be covered. It’s wise to consult your insurance provider to understand the coverage and process for claims.
- Warranty: Some plumbing components might still be under warranty, reducing or eliminating repair or replacement costs.
The Importance of Getting Multiple Quotes:
- Comparing Services: It’s advisable to obtain quotes from different plumbers or companies to find the best value without compromising quality.
- Understanding the Breakdown: Ask for a detailed breakdown of the costs, including labor, materials, and potential additional fees.
Perks of 24/7 Plumbing Services
In today’s fast-paced world, where convenience and immediacy are paramount, the value of 24/7 services cannot be underestimated—especially when it comes to plumbing emergencies. These untimely mishaps won’t wait for business hours, which is why having access to 24/7 plumbing services can be a game-changer.
Immediate Response to Emergencies:
- Swift Action: The primary benefit of a 24-hour plumber is the immediacy of service. Whether it’s a burst pipe in the dead of night or an overflowing toilet during a holiday dinner, immediate action can prevent further damage.
- Reduction in Potential Damage: Every minute can count when it comes to plumbing issues. A rapid response ensures that problems like water leaks or blockages are dealt with swiftly, reducing potential structural or water damage.
Flexibility and Convenience:
- Accommodating Busy Schedules: Not everyone can be home during standard business hours. With 24/7 plumbing services, homeowners can schedule repairs at a time that’s most convenient for them, whether it’s late at night or early in the morning.
- Unexpected Circumstances: Life is unpredictable. Sometimes, plumbing emergencies can coincide with other crucial events or commitments. Round-the-clock availability ensures you’re always covered.
Comprehensive Range of Services
- All-encompassing Solutions: Whether it’s a minor clog, a major pipe failure, or a gas leak repair, 24/7 plumbers are equipped to handle a wide range of emergencies, ensuring that homeowners have a one-stop solution for all their urgent needs.
- Up-to-date Techniques: Many 24/7 plumbing services pride themselves on utilizing the latest in plumbing technology and techniques, ensuring efficient and effective repairs.
Peace of Mind
- Assurance in Crisis: Knowing that a local emergency plumber is just a call away, no matter the hour, provides homeowners with significant peace of mind. It alleviates the stress and anxiety associated with potential damage and costs.
- Safety: Some plumbing issues, especially those related to gas leaks or sewage, can pose serious health risks. 24/7 services ensure that these problems are addressed promptly, safeguarding the health of residents.
- Avoiding Long-Term Damage: As mentioned in the previous sections, immediate attention to plumbing issues can save on emergency plumber cost in the long run by preventing extensive damage or complications.
- Transparent Pricing: Many 24/7 plumbing services offer upfront pricing with no hidden fees, ensuring you know what to expect when the bill arrives.
Save Big with Roto-Rooter: Grab Your Coupons Today!
The coupons you’ve seen above are available in most zip codes, but I recommend you check before contacting Roto-Rooter. However, the company doesn’t charge by the hour like most plumbers. It has fixed prices for each provided service, making it more affordable than most plumbing solutions.
FAQ – Roto-Rooter
The cost of Roto-Rooter services to unclog a drain depends on the type of service you need. For example, unclogging a branch line within the home may range from $350 to $500, while unclogging a sewer line may cost $450 to $575.
The cost of Roto-Rooter’s drain snaking service typically falls within the range of $350 to $500 in 2023. However, it’s important to note that the exact price can vary based on factors such as the complexity of the job, pricing policies set by individual franchisees, and other relevant considerations.
When comparing Roto-Rooter to a traditional plumber in terms of cost, it’s important to consider a few key factors. Roto-Rooter provides upfront quotes that encompass the entire project, including the technician’s travel time and the duration of the job. In contrast, plumbers typically charge an hourly rate ranging from $45 to $200, along with possible service fees or flat fees.
If you have prior knowledge that the plumbing job will be extensive and prefer to have a clear understanding of the cost from the start, hiring a Roto-Rooter specialist may be a suitable option for you. With Roto-Rooter, you will know the exact amount you will be paying right away, eliminating any surprises.
Roto-Rooter’s camera inspections for sewer lines vary in price based on job requirements. Typically ranging from $125 to $500, these inspections involve opening the drain and using a CCTV drain camera to identify clogs, damaged pipes, or tree roots. Homes without a cleanout, or an aboveground access point, require the removal and reinstallation of the toilet for inspections, which can cost between $175 and $750.
Roto-Rooter provides estimates to customers at no cost. You can request an estimate from Roto-Rooter without incurring any charges.
Last Updated on August 9, 2023
Dustin Hopkins has over 12 years in the cleaning industry, working in the past for one of the top 5 cleaning companies in the US. Currently, he is the chief editor of CleaningRank.com and the proud father of a 5-year-old, Chris.